Monday 20 July 2009

Exercise 1 - Opinion_Agreeing_Suggestion

Karen: OK. Now let’s talk about who we want to use the spokesperson for this project.
Let’s go around the table. Shall we use the sports star or someone else? Sven, what do you think?
[Exercise] To ask for opinion, we can also say:
-Sven, How do you feel about this?
-Sven, What’s your opinion on this?
-Sven, What’s your view on this?
-Sven, What’s your feeling on this?
-Sven, could you please share your thoughts on that?
Sven: Well… One possibility would be to use a famous overweight business executive, or CEO.
[Exercise] To express an opinion or suggestion, we can also say:
-Perhaps we should use a famous overweight business executive.
-In my opinion, we should use a famous overweight business executive.
-From my point of view, we should use a famous overweight business executive.
-I tend to feel that we should use a famous overweight business executive.
-I have the impression that we should use a famous overweight business executive.
-Don’t you think it is a little early?
-What about using a famous overweight business executive, or CEO?
-Why don’t we use a famous overweight business executive, or CEO?
-What if we use a famous overweight business executive, or CEO?
-Maybe we could use a famous overweight business executive, or CEO?
Miguel: Sorry, can I come in here?
[Exercise] To interrupt, we can also say:
-Sorry, can I come in here?
-Can I interrupt for a moment?
-May I speak something about that?
-Can I make a suggestion?
Karen: Yes, go ahead Miguel.
Miguel: That’s a good idea, but I’m not sure would work.
[Exercise] To disagree, we can also say:
-That’s a good idea, but I’m not sure would work.
-Good suggestion, but I can see one or two problems with that.
-Well, I’m not sure about that, to be honest.
-I’m sorry but I really can’t agree.
-I’m afraid I don’t totally agree with you.
Karen: Why not?
Miguel: Well, For one thing, our customers want to be fit, not fat.
Karen: Then, what do you suggest?
Miguel: Perhaps we should just use the famous sports star like we usually do, if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it. You know what I mean?
Karen: Good suggestion, but I can see one or two problems with that, to be honest.
Miguel: Oh?
Karen: First of all, our target markets are in the UK and the US. I need a man who American and Britain really love. Secondly, our target customer is kind of special.
Charles: I have a good suggestion.
Karen: Go ahead, Charles.
Charles: It’s just an idea, but how about choosing someone from a sport where normal to be heavy, American football, for example, heavy but agile; overweight but strong and fast. You know what I mean?
Karen: Right, I can see what you mean. What do others think?
Miguel: Yes, that’s might be worthy trying.
Sven: Ok, but how about the UK?
Karen: mm… Let me think about this. Shall we try to find someone in golf – That’s popular in the US and the UK.
Charles/ Sven/ Miguel: Good idea
[Exercise] To show agreeing with something:
-That’s a great idea.
-I can’t agree more.
-I entirely agree with you.
-No argument for me on that.
-OK. I can go along with that.
-Absolutely.

No comments: