Monday 29 June 2009

BEP 28 INT - Meetings Agreeing and Disagreeing

This Business English Podcast episode is the first part in a two-part series looking at agreeing and disagreeing. In these two episodes, we’ll be practicing different levels of agreement and disagreement, from weak to strong.
Appropriate agreement and disagreement is an important part of all meetings and discussions.
Today’s listening is from a meeting in the R&D department of Pharmtec, a drug company.
This meeting is between Jean, the head scientist, and Louis and Carina, two researchers. They are talking about the result of new medicine trial.
Jean: So, what do you think about the new ZeriX trial? This could be the drug we’ve all waiting for. I think it’s going to a big setup.
Louis: So do I.
Carina: I’m sorry, but I really can’t agree. After all, so far we only carried out two trials, and don’t forget the strange (?) of the first trial.
Jean: Yes, I meant the first trial is a little disappointing. But that doesn’t take anything away from these new results, absolutely amazing.
Louis: Yes, fantastic. Aren’t they?
Jean: Especially for men over 60.
Carina: Don’t you think it is still a little early to be so sure? Perhaps we shouldn’t count on our chicken before they hatched. I still think there may be some issues with ZeriX.
Jean: Do you really think so? Anyway, we don’t have anything come out the pipeline right now. We have to try to make this work.
Carina: Yes, of course, but our patients come first.
Jean: The patients always come first, we won’t forget that. Now Carina, let’s talk about these issues one by one.
How to agree (short answer):
-So do I.
-I do too.
-I don’t either (negative sentence)
-Nor do I (negative sentence).
-Neither do I (negative sentence).
How to agree (Standard phrase):
-I entirely agree with you.
-You’re quite right.
-I couldn’t agree more.
-That’s exactly how I see it.
-That’s just how I feel.
How to disagree:
-I’m sorry, but I really can’t agree.
-Well, I’m not so sure about that, to be honest.
-Well, I don’t know.
-Well, it depends.
-I’m afraid I don’t really agree.
-I’m afraid I don’t totally agree with that.
-Yes, I think it is a good idea, but I think it is difficult to implement.
-Don’t you think it is still a little early?

No comments: