Tuesday 16 June 2009

English training phase II - lesson three -Explain and clarify a problem

Part 1: Dealing with problem

1. Introduce the problem
-I'm afraid we've got a problem.
-I think we've all noticed that the staff moral is extremely low.
- Well, let's turn to a problem that's on everyone's mind.
-So, we need to tackle a fairly pressing problem today.
-I know we've all been discussing this particular issue recently.
-As you all know, we're going to look at the problem of budget.
2. Focus on the discussion
-What exactly is the problem? Budget or something else, let's have some inputs.
-We need to deal with this problem before we get our hand.
-What's the end line causes this problem? And what can it tell us?
-What is exactly the root of this problem, any suggestions?
-Perhaps we can begin by breaking down the problem, who can start?
2. Ask for clarification
-How do you mean exactly?
-I'm not sure I follow, could you explain?
-Could you explain the problem in more detail?
-Could you speak a little more specific?
3. Predict the consequences
-That'll result in even more expense.
-It could be very dangerous.
-It'll mean lengthy negotiations.
-It might turn violent.
4. Suggest possible actions
-Perhaps we could talk to them
-Couldn't we bring some people?
5. Promise action
-I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

No comments: