Monday 25 May 2009

BEP024-Teleconference

In this Business English Podcast we’re going to listen to a teleconference between the head office management of a US guitar manufacturer and the manager of their new Latin American plant.
Key language structures explained are: diplomatic language and using probing questions. We also introduce some useful English phrases for starting a teleconference meeting, interrupting and clarifying.
Jack: Hello, this is Jack. Is this James?

James: Yes indeed, and with me are Dan and Angie. How about Jerald?

Jack: It is just me here in the San Jose plant. I didn’t get the agenda for this tele conference, just schedule. So what can I help you with?

James: Oh, Jack, we’ve heard that there have been some troubles in the plant and we thought that perhaps you could tell us what seems to be the problem.

Jack: Oh, problem? Nothing serious, thing’s going well. We have some environmental issues, but that has not hurt our production, which is going up from …

Angie: Could I just interrupt for a moment? Jack, this is Angie. I received report that workers are getting sick in the plant. Could you please give us some data on this?

Jack: Sure, Angie. It seems the few workers had problems breathing when painting the Guitar parts. They were quickly treated and sent home. These things do happen at any plant and anywhere in the world. And I would to say production is increasing. After all, what we act, no plant is perfect, we meet our goals.

Dan: And Jack, this is Dan. I understand what you were saying. But I’d like to point out that we heard the workers complain to local government. This would give bad reputation and we don’t need the government looking for reason to close down our plant.

Jack: While I agree with a lot of you saying. I think you may be exaggerating the problem. Workers complain to the government is very routine. We have many similar workers complain in our plants in the US as well. Would you agree?

James: Jack. The point we were trying to make is that we’d like you to be more specific about what will or might happen because of this. I can understand you’d like to focus on production, but at the moment, I’m afraid we have to give this thing full attention.

Jack: Understood. Well, tomorrow government specters will come to the plant. This is normal of course, and they’ll talk to our workers and then decide on the penalty. After that, they …

Dan: Sorry, sorry to interrupt. Can we go back to the penalty for a moment? What are we looking for here?
Jack: It could be a fine or a temporary shut down while we’re changing our processes, and of course they could close down the plant, but I don’t expect that. We faced things like this before. Angie, you might remember our problem with wood dust a couple of years ago?

Angie: Before answer that just let me check I understand what you were saying. We could be facing a completely shut down of the plant because of this workers complains, is that correct?

Jack: There’s a very slight chance on that, but yes, it is possible.


1. Introduce attendees
-Let’s start by taking a roll call
-Attending today’s conference are our colleagues from Roma office
-Andrew John is also joining us today, he is our chief engineer.
-Stone Shi will be with us shortly.
-And with me are Jack and Tom.

2. Talking in diplomatic way
-It seems we have a slight problem
-Could I just go back to the point about price?
-There might be a small delay
-That might be quite expensive
-Perhaps we could get a meeting next week?

3. Probing question using diplomatic language
-I wonder if you could explain how you
-I’m afraid I am not quite clear about
-I’m interested in knowing more about
-Could you put me in the picture about?

4. Interrupting somebody
-Could I interrupt for a moment?
-May I say something about that?
-Could I speak to that?

5. Ask for clarifying question
-I’m afraid I’m not quite clear what you mean by
-I’m sorry, could you explain what you mean by
-What exactly do you mean by?

6. Disagreeing someone
-How about looking in this different way?
-I am not against your whole idea, just the part about price.
-While I agree with a lot of what you’re saying here, I think it may be
-I am not so sure. I like to hear more about this.
-I can understand exactly how you feel, but at the moment we just had no option.
-Yes, I think it is a good idea, but I think it is difficult to implement.

No comments: