Friday 28 November 2008

English Training Course - Talking about email - Part I

Do you know how to write a well-formatted and polite email? When I wrote the first English email in my new company, I am so nervous. I am not sure wether my expression is polite and clear to the recipient. It is a hard time for me. I'd like to share some information about how to write a clear and polite email.

Task A: Please correct the following sentences in a mail:
1. The details are as following.
"As follows" is often used to introduce a list (of things, etc.) E.g.
The 75 students are divided into five groups as follows:
group 1 - group 5
We may also say:
--The 75 students are divided into the following five groups:
--The five groups of 75 students can be found in the following list:-
2. Could you please help to check it?- Could you please check it?
3. Please find the attached report.- Please find attached the report.
4. Thank you for your checking.- Thank you for checking.

Task B: formal or informal email?
Formal:
I am afraid I will not be able to attend the meeting on Friday. As I will miss the meeting. I was wondering if you could send me a copy of the minutes? I will write to Anna as well, to inform her that I will not be there. Once again, please accept my apologizes for this, and I can assure you that I will be at the next meeting.
Informal:
Sorry I can't make the meeting on Friday. As I'll miss the meeting, could you send me a copy of the minutes? I'll write to Anita as well, to tell her (that) I won't be there. Once again, I'm sorry for this, and I promise (that) I'll be at the next meeting.
Below are the phrases to write in formal/informal way:
Sorry I can not program all the words one by one. I copied a picture here. You are supposed to refer to http://files.motime.com/eee115ff83bcfeb708e6eb48aee00186.doc or www.hueber.de/shared/elka/Internet_Muster/Red2/3-19-002884-2_Muster1.pdf for more details.



No comments: