Tuesday 19 May 2009

English training phase II - lesson two -Sentence structure

A. Read the information about sentence structure
A simple affirmative sentence in English typically has the order Subject + Verb + Object. Each part can be a phrase rather than a single word:
This report (Sub) will analyse (Verb) last year’s budget. (Obj)
There can be an adverb phrase as well, and it often comes at the end. Adverbs say how (quickly), where (at our office) or when (next week) something happens. If we have several adverbs together, the usual word order is HOW – WHERE – WHEN. Look at these examples:
I am looking forward to our meeting in Munich next month.
Sales rose by over 10% in Hungry last year.
B. Now rewrite sentences with correct word order.
1. I am writing /to let you know/ from Head Office in Munich/ I am coming to visit/ next month/ that /your offices in Moscow.
I am writing from Head Office in Munich to let you know that I am coming to visit your offices in Moscow next month.
2. This will be/ in Central Europe /part of a visit/ to all our subsidiaries /that /I am making.
This will be part of a visit that I am making to all our subsidiaries in Central Europe.
3. to consult with you /I will take the opportunity/ about our strategic plan/ for Central Europe,/ which/ for some time /we have been working on
I will take the opportunity to consult with you about our strategic plan for Central Europe, which we have been working on for some time.
4. I would also like /our production facility/ while I am in Moscow/ to visit/ and if there is time, /as well/ some of the local supplies.
I would also like to visit our production facility while I am in Moscow, and if there is time, some of the local suppliers as well.
5. I will contact you again/ when /I can travel/ the exact dates/ as soon as I know.
I will contact you again as soon as I know the exact dates when I can travel.
C Put the lines in the emails below into the correct order:
Email1:
Dear Jeff,
I am writing to thank you 1
The meetings were very productive, and 4
As well as the business side of things, 7
The next time that you are in Munich, 11
Please give my regards
for your hospitality
during my recent trip to Paris.
I really appreciate the time you took
I am sure that they lay the basis for
to show me the Notre Dame, and
to your colleagues in the Paris office.
and the wonderful meal that we had afterwards.
a good long-term business relationship.
it will be my pleasure to return your kindness.
It was a great pleasure to meet them all. 15

I am writing to thank you for your hospitality during my recent trip to Paris. The meetings were very productive, and I am sure that they lay the basis for a good long-term business relationship.

As well as the business side of things, I really appreciate the time you took to show me the Notre Dame, and the wonderful meal that we had afterwards.The next time that you are in Munich, it will be my pleasure to return your kindness.

Please give my regards to your colleagues in the Paris office. It was a great pleasure to meet them all.

Regards,

Stone

Email 2:
Thank you for taking the time to attend 1
Unfortunately, we have to inform you that
As we mentioned in the interview, we had 5
While we were impressed with your interview, 8
We appreciate your interesting in 12
many applications for this position
your application has not been successful.
an interview with us last week.
we did not feel
working with us,
that you have the necessary skills
, and we would like to take the opportunity
and experience for the position.
and the standard of candidates was very high.
to wish you every success in the future. 15

Dear Jeff,

Thank you for taking the time to attend an interview with us last week. Unfortunately, we have to inform you that your application has not been successful.

As we mentioned in the interview, we had many applications for this position and the standard of candidates was very high. While we were impressed with your interview, we did not feel that you have the necessary skills and experience for the position.

We appreciate your interesting in working with us, and we would like to take the opportunity to wish you every success in the future.

Best regards,

ABC Corporation

No comments: