Tuesday 19 May 2009

Language you can use to give or react to news

How to give good news

-We’d like to say that we are very impressed by your job interview.
-We’d like to offer you the job.
-We’ve got some good news for you. We’d like to move you up a grade. That means promotion and a bit more money every month.
-I’m really pleased to tell you that you’re the winner of our competition.

How to respond to good news

-Congratulations!
-Congratulations on your engagement. Congratulations on getting married.
-Congratulations, that’s fantastic news!
-Congratulations, that’s great news!
-Congratulations, that’s brilliant news!

There are other two formal phrases, but they are very useful for you when you are writing to congratulate someone.
-I’m really pleased to hear that.
-I’m really happy for you.

How to give bad news

-Well Neil, I’m afraid I’ve got some bad news for you: you didn’t quite make the grades, which sadly means that you won’t be able to go to the university you chose this year.
-Unfortunately, I’m afraid we’re not going to be able to offer you the position this time.
-I’m really sorry but

How to respond to bad news

-I’m so sorry to hear that.
-Oh my god
-Oh my god, that’s awful.
-That’s terrible

We don’t say ‘That’s a pity’ or ‘That’s too bad’ when someone has really bad news. That’s awful! That’s terrible! These are good ways to react.

-You must be feeling terrible.
-You must be feeling absolutely awful.

If you hear about someone’s bad news from someone else, it’s perhaps better to go to your friend and offer help.
-I heard about your news.
-I heard about your terrible news.
-I’m so sorry to hear about your news.
-I’m so sorry to hear about your awful news.
-Martin told me about what happened.

No comments: